[ubuntu-za] Database Problems

Ian Whitfield whitfield at federalsaints.net
Fri Jan 22 14:42:40 GMT 2010

Hi Mark & Ewald

I appreciate your replies!

My background - Ex-Computer man 25+ years now retired but always on M$
products. Changed to Linux 13-14 months ago (still LOTS to learn!!).
Tried Ubuntu and Mint but hated Gnome so went with KDE.

I run a World-Wide "Old School Group". Used to run a Windows program
called Maximizer for my Database but it was very limited (ie no way to
add photos etc). When I moved to Kubuntu designed my own DB in OOBase.
Layout is working great but see problems I mentioned.

DB has >2000 records, approx 70 fields and 3 graphics per record. But
tired of having stuff go missing!!! Am happy to learn new program and
re-design my DB. But need to get it working and have a front-end (GUI)
for design, management and general use. Am happy using Command Line for
set-up, tweeking etc but prefer GUI for general use.

I will look at the Kwxi site you mention. Don't know what PHP is however
(will Google)

When I run PGAdmin it says 'No Server'.... where do you go from there??
I picked up a tutorial at
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-setup-database-server-with-postgresql-and-pgadmin3.html
but am stuck on it not taking my Submask address.

I have two Linux computers here both running 9.10 and networked. I
installed PostgrSQL on the second machine to try it out and to do my
development on. Once working I would want to have this as my Server and
access it from my first machine.

Hope this puts you in the picture.

Thanks again

Ian