[xubuntu-users] shell tools

Ulli Horlacher framstag at rus.uni-stuttgart.de
Sun Jan 8 15:24:16 UTC 2017

On Sun 2017-01-08 (10:00), pereira wrote:

> the web site downloads
> and installs all the 193 (IIRC) files in the fstool directory. That's easy.
>
> But, to make use of them you have to know some linux magic that is not
> described anywhere

Of course, one should know what $PATH is (for)!
This is so basic, I have not described it.

This is a copy of what you see on http://fex.belwue.de/fstools/

> and a useless fstools-0.0/README.

This README is for /sw, a software distribution system developed at the
University of Stuttgart 1990.
You can use it with Ubuntu, too, see http://fex.belwue.de/swinstall

My fstools are part of /sw, but you can use it independantly.

Some of the /sw applications you can also find in the ubuntu repository,
but the newest, best, more shiny versions are in /sw. This is what I
maintain.

> But, if you know your
> own linux magic you would know one of many options: put in your
> .bash_aliases the abacadabra
>
> # look in fstools directory, with useful perl scripts from Stuttgart U:
> http://fex.belwue.de/fstools/del.html
> export PATH=$PATH:/home/your-name-here/fstools-0.0/bin

NO!

Environment variables like PATH must be placed in /etc/profile or
$HOME/.profile

$HOME/.bash_aliases is for - oh-wonder! - bash aliases!

Do not mix them!

> Then you can use such useful commands as del, df3, and other useful
> esoterica.

But only for you and not for other users!
If you want to make them accessible for all, then create an own directory,
e.g. /opt/fstools/ and add to /etc/profile :
PATH=$PATH:/opt/fstools/bin

.. or simply install /sw (local copy) :-)

--
Ullrich Horlacher              Server und Virtualisierung
Rechenzentrum TIK
Universitaet Stuttgart         E-Mail: horlacher at tik.uni-stuttgart.de
Allmandring 30a                Tel:    ++49-711-68565868
70569 Stuttgart (Germany)      WWW:    http://www.tik.uni-stuttgart.de/
REF:<f03689c5-6ae4-cc3b-ab3e-6883d20654e6 at gmail.com>