[xubuntu-users] Why does Firefox persist as default browser in some contexts...

Dan Hitt dan.hitt at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 04:28:41 UTC 2017

Ah, great, thanks Len!!

I certainly did not know about exo-open (although i did know about
gnome-open, but that's something you have to explicitly apt-get, so i
would be hesitant to code it in  --- i assume exo-open is bundled, and
if xfce is present then it is too?).

Of course, Fred is also right, because software is limited by the
knowledge of those who write it, but over time as word spreads
hopefully this particular problem (of not knowing what program to
launch, on xubuntu) will diminish.

dan

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 6:34 PM, Len Philpot <lphilpot01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> My understanding is, that's what 'exo-open --launch WebBrowser' is designed
> to fix. It handles the aliasing between a black box API-ish call the program
> makes and the actual browser that ends up being called on the back end. All
> the caller has to know is, "exo-open --launch WebBrowser". Problem is, mine
> is set to Chrome, but Firefox still opens far too often. I happen to like
> Firefox (may go back to it someday), but I'm just using Chrome at the moment
> and the inconsistent behavior is mildly irritating.
>

> Len Philpot
> lphilpot01 at gmail.com
> Sent from Thunderbird on Xubuntu Linux
> On 01/04/2017 08:01 PM, Dan Hitt wrote:
>
> Hi Fred and/or Len or anybody in the know,
>
> Supposing that you are writing a program that might want to open a
> browser, say to open a help file located somewhere on the web, what
> api would you use, in Xubuntu, to know what browser to use, and what
> the calling convention was?
>
> Or, in other words, if it's hard for a programmer to know how to look
> up the user's favorite browser, there will probably be programs
> popping up here and there where each one makes its own guess about
> what browser to use.  :)
.....CUT!