[xubuntu-users] DropBox and its Icon

Rob Ward rl.ward at bigpond.com
Thu Apr 14 01:51:39 UTC 2016

Hi Folks, thanks, so far..

@David  I checked the Notification service and found it was greyed out,
so I assume it was was already running?  I also looked it up in
"Sessions and Startup" in Settings and the Notification was ticked so I
presume it is initialised.  However I can it hiding down the far right
hand end of Panel about 1 pixel wide.  I put some stuff in it
successfully eg CPU speed. But when I restarted the computer the
red-circle-slash-icon appeared only in the Indicator part of the Panel.

However it would seem I should only need one and not both, so have I got
my Distro's mixed and installed something that was not 100% designed to
work on Xubuntu??

@Robert

I changed my ~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd script to the below (I have a
different version it would seem so I only added the second line).

#!/bin/sh
export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=""
PAR=$(dirname "$(readlink -f "$0")")
exec "$PAR/dropbox-lnx.x86-3.16.1/dropboxd" "$@"

On a restart the line stayed there, but I can see you suggest erasing
the session info?  Can I just erase the folder contents at
/home/rob/.cache/sessions/  ?? and then do a restart??

I don't understand what you are saying after "Update:" below but I feel
I know why you are suggesting it.  If I have got the Dropbox thing in a
knot by my previous experiments, they may not untangle unless the
history is cleared, and force a total clean Dropbox start?

On one reboot I was asked for the "sudo" password to enable access to
the Dropbox folder.  I thought I had made a break through, but the same
problem as originally outlined has continued.

Rob