[xubuntu-users] DropBox and its Icon

Robert Streeter rstreeter78 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 11:33:32 UTC 2016

I modified the ~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd script as follows and rebooted and
got the icon back.  Since this file gets overwritten by updates I think I
won't have to undo anything if they fix the problem on the next update.

#!/bin/sh
export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=""
PAR=$(dirname "$(readlink -f "$0")")
exec "$PAR/dropbox-lnx.x86-3.14.7/dropboxd" "$@"

Update: When I tried this on my laptop it didn't work at first. I realized
I was having the same problem I had with 'Copy' where the XFCE4 session
saving was starting dropbox before the official startup file was executed.
I modified my ~/.profile file to erase any *.state and *session* files in
~./cache/sessions. This is the solution that worked for me.
On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 5:06 AM, Rob Ward <rl.ward at bigpond.com> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> After having scouted around on the www for some hints as to how I can get
> my Dropbox to run properly I have been unable to get it to return to its
> original installed operation.
> I am running (X)Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS, have found the Dropbox Icon has
> disappeared and I can no longer use it to inspect the Dropbox folder with
> the Dropbox options available eg right click and copy a Dropbox share URL.
>
> At the moment this is the icon that comes and goes as I stop and start
> Dropbox from the command line (the red circle with a slash through it).
> I am running the Indicator Plugin and it has a couple of functions showing
> OK (Network, System, Audio all work OK), however there is no Dropbox listed
> in the "Indicator apps".  Clicking on the red circle icon only makes a
> little single line shadow under it and nothing else.
>
> I have completely un-installed Dropbox and then reinstalled, to no avail,
> and also the same with remove/reinstall Indicator.  I have disconnected
> this machine from Dropbox via their website on another machine, and then
> re-linked it again and no improvement.
>
> I have tried various command line statements eg *dropbox stop* and then *dropbox
> start* as well as *sudo dropbox stop && DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=""
> dropbox start* which did a restart and removed the red circle but did not
> replace it with the proper Drop box icon. When I ran the Dropbox
> application from the Applications Menu the red circle icon returned.
>
> As I am not a high level 'Nix user I have quickly hit a brick wall.  If
> anyone could help me debug my set up, or offer suggestions as to what I
> could try, I would be very grateful.
>
> Rob
>
> --
>
> *Rob Ward*
> Lake Tyers Beach, 3909
> Lake Tyers Beach Website <http://www.laketyersbeach.net.au>
> XP to XUbuntu <http://www.laketyersbeach.net.au/XP2XU.html>
>

> Command line History:
>
> *rob at DesktopUbuntu:~$ sudo dropbox stop && DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=""
> dropbox start*
> *sudo: unable to resolve host DesktopUbuntu.WORKGROUP*
> *[sudo] password for rob: *
> *Dropbox isn't responding!*
> *Dropbox isn't responding!*
> *Dropbox is already running!*
> *rob at DesktopUbuntu:~$ sudo dropbox stop && DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=""
> dropbox start*
> *sudo: unable to resolve host DesktopUbuntu.WORKGROUP*
> *Dropbox daemon stopped.*
> *Starting Dropbox...Dropbox isn't running!*
> *Done!*
> *rob at DesktopUbuntu:~$ dropbox startDropbox is already running!*
> *rob at DesktopUbuntu:~$ *

I've had success running the commands separately -

~$ dropbox stop

(wait for dropbox to stop, icon should disappear altogether)

~$ DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS="" dropbox start

Dave

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: