[xubuntu-users] Setting up a new install

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Sat Dec 5 07:27:55 UTC 2015

On Fri, 04 Dec 2015 16:08:05 -0800
"John R. Sowden" <jsowden at americansentry.net> wrote:

> On 11/25/2015 02:25 PM, Carl Snyder wrote:
> > Assuming nothing I am making suggestions:
> > 1. A 3TB drive needs to be formatted with a gpt partition table to
> > access more than 2TB with 4096 byte or smaller granularity for
> > files. This also is a probable cause of the 1M section which is
> > unusable. 2. You can only have 4 total primary partitions,
> > including a partition designated for holding logical partitions.
> > This has been true since MS/PC-DOS 3.x. This would give you your /
> > partition, the DOS partition, your logical partition, and one more
> > possible primary partition.
> > 3. Yes, you can put /swap in a logical partition. I have done so.
> > 4. You can't designate any encryption until AFTER you have
> > successfully partitioned and formatted the partition.
> >
> I am still struggling with this setup of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on my new
> empty 3,000 GB hard drive.  It was suggested that I use GPARTED on
> the Live DVD version to create the partition structure.  I ran into 2
> problems: (1) The new and improved version of gparted does not allow
> me to set the mount points!

No, why should it? Gparted does not care about mountpoints, it only
cares about disk layout. There is no way for gparted to store
information about mountpoints on disk in a distribution-independent way
that the rest of the system and other software will recognize.

You use gparted to set up your partitions, and then you run the
installer, which will set up mountpoints. Of course you could also set
up your partitions directly in the installer, but I'm not sure if it
gives you the option of using GPT layout.

(If this is an UEFI system, remember that you need to create an EFI
System Partition and mark it as such.)

>  (2) all of the partitions that I created
> were assigned into the /media directory (I believe it was media-it's
> been a couple of days.Isn't this something that everyone goes
> through?  Why is this not laid out clearly on Ubuntu's site?  I
> assume it is, and I am just missing it.

Don't mount the partitions with gparted after creating them, just run
the installer. It will let you choose which partitions to mount where.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"