[xubuntu-users] Setting up a new install

John R. Sowden jsowden at americansentry.net
Sat Dec 5 00:08:05 UTC 2015

On 11/25/2015 02:25 PM, Carl Snyder wrote:
> Assuming nothing I am making suggestions:
> 1. A 3TB drive needs to be formatted with a gpt partition table to
> access more than 2TB with 4096 byte or smaller granularity for files.
> This also is a probable cause of the 1M section which is unusable.
> 2. You can only have 4 total primary partitions, including a partition
> designated for holding logical partitions. This has been true since
> MS/PC-DOS 3.x. This would give you your / partition, the DOS
> partition, your logical partition, and one more possible primary
> partition.
> 3. Yes, you can put /swap in a logical partition. I have done so.
> 4. You can't designate any encryption until AFTER you have
> successfully partitioned and formatted the partition.

I am still struggling with this setup of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on my new
empty 3,000 GB hard drive.  It was suggested that I use GPARTED on the
Live DVD version to create the partition structure.  I ran into 2
problems: (1) The new and improved version of gparted does not allow me
to set the mount points!  (2) all of the partitions that I created were
assigned into the /media directory (I believe it was media-it's been a
couple of days.Isn't this something that everyone goes through?  Why is
this not laid out clearly on Ubuntu's site?  I assume it is, and I am
just missing it.

John