[xubuntu-users] XUbuntu Crashes

Patrice ARNAL patricearnal at gmx.fr
Wed Jun 11 06:17:06 UTC 2014

I got a similar problem some times ago...

I had 2 possibles hints :
1- no more space on disk (old machine, small (very small) disk
     This has been corrected by keeping only 2 logs files instead of 5
or 7 by default...
     By this way I no more had "disk full" messages at start-up and I
was able to check the logs

2- The screensaver was mis-configured. ( I tried to have a diaporama,
but it did not work well)
     Setting it to "blank screen" only was the right solution : No more
lock up.

When the screen is "locked-up" , do you have a big disk activity?
I had the disk light continuously "ON" (hence my check of disk space)

When it is locked up, can you get a tty login with <ctrl><alt><Fn>?
Be patient....
If you can't get a tty login, the desktop manager is no more running....
If yo can get it, a "top" will show you what are the most cpu consuming
task.

Good luck