[xubuntu-users] XUbuntu Crashes

Victor Forberger vforberger at fastmail.fm
Wed Jun 11 13:57:06 UTC 2014

> Le 11/06/2014 05:49, Rob Ward a écrit :
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> My swap from XP to XUbuntu is going well, but every couple of days I
>> get a lock-up from which I have no way out but to press the reset and
>> reboot.  I am wondering if there is a way I can gather some evidence
>> as to what might be going on, so I can either correct it myself, or
>> seek help from you folk with more information than "It crashed! Help!".
>>
>> Sometimes it locks up on the screen saver (3-D Ant (mentioned in many
>> older www posts)) and other times just in the Desktop, but usually
>> after some time of operator absence.
>>
>> Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> *Rob Ward*
>> Lake Tyers Beach, 3909
>> Lake Tyers Beach Website <http://www.laketyersbeach.net.au>
>> XP to XUbuntu - The journey, join me!
>> <http://www.laketyersbeach.net.au/XP2XU.html>
>>
> On 06/11/2014 01:17 AM, Patrice ARNAL wrote:> I got a similar problem some times ago...
>
> I had 2 possibles hints :
> 1- no more space on disk (old machine, small (very small) disk
>     This has been corrected by keeping only 2 logs files instead of 5 or
> 7 by default...
>     By this way I no more had "disk full" messages at start-up and I was
> able to check the logs
>
> 2- The screensaver was mis-configured. ( I tried to have a diaporama,
> but it did not work well)
>     Setting it to "blank screen" only was the right solution : No more
> lock up.
>
> When the screen is "locked-up" , do you have a big disk activity?
> I had the disk light continuously "ON" (hence my check of disk space)
>
> When it is locked up, can you get a tty login with <ctrl><alt><Fn>?
> Be patient....
> If you can't get a tty login, the desktop manager is no more running....
> If yo can get it, a "top" will show you what are the most cpu consuming
> task.
>
> Good luck

My guess is a conflict between xscreensaver and xfce power manager.  I
had similar problems with previous versions of xubuntu.  Some did better
with power management (i.e., no crashes and ability to return to the
desktop after absence/sleep) via xscreensaver and some did better with
xfce-power-manager.

Note that in 14.04, xscreensaver has been replaced with light-locker.
See http://xubuntu.org/news/screen-locking-in-xubuntu-14-04/ for the
details.

Like me, your upgrade probably kept xscreensaver (I like the matrixGL to
remind me that I need to take the red(?) pill when offered the chance).

With recent xubuntu versions including 14.04, the preference seems to be
with xfce-power-manager for power management. So, in Settings, click on
Screensaver and make sure that the "power management enabled" option is
NOT checked. You may also need to restart the daemon, a command
available under the File menu.

In Power Manager under Settings, under General make sure that "monitor
power management control" IS checked. Adjust sleep settings so that
display is set to sleep after so many minutes (usually more minutes than
what triggers the screen saver). Also, make sure that the monitor is NOT
switched to be turned off (I think a bug with xfce power manager still
exists on this issue). And, make sure to select suspend and not
hibernate as the preferred sleep option.

You can see what is going on when the computer/monitor wakes from sleep
by looking at the most recently modified log files in /var/log/ for
Xorg, pm-powersave, and pm-suspend. Look for any errors relating to your
display, particularly with Xorg.

Good luck,
Victor Forberger