[xubuntu-users] Software Updater package?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Sep 28 13:39:57 UTC 2013

Hi David :)

my tone of voice was inappropriate, but I dislike most of those
automations. Newbies get a wrong impression of Linux, they start using
it in the same way as other people use Apple and Microsoft computers and
they will miss the advantages of Linux. The claim that such software
like an update manager will make it easier for newbies IMO is wrong, it
makes it harder to understand Linux, hence the question, against what
package to file a bug, by somebody who used apt-get. The question is
understandable, but it's not understandable for me, that a software
updater opens a window and ask the user to reboot. I know an OS that
does ask to reboot and this is not Linux ;).

Future generations should learn some basics about computers. Our
generations experience all those marketing, privacy, security issues
because computers are new. Not everybody needs to become an expert. I'm
not an expert for modern computers myself.

IMO *buntus make an evil step in a completely wrong direction.

2 Cents,
Ralf