[xubuntu-users] Xubuntu 13.10 Boots Straight to Console

Scott scott at digital-scape.net
Tue Oct 22 18:17:52 UTC 2013

Hi Zuke,

I understand the statement below.  Same thing happened to me years ago
when I upgraded my Ubuntu to the latest version the video driver quit
working so then I tried to install the new version the thing blew up.
So spent time fiddling around with it I finally gave up and went back to
Windows.

It was frustrating to the least after spending alot of time getting my
Ubuntu desktop set up the way I wanted and everything just works until
the faulty video driver had to screw it up.   I see video driver support
from ATi (AMD) has gotten alot better so I am going back to using Linux
desktop again.  The video driver issues is not Linux's fault.  It's just
they kept these drivers as closed source so it's hard for the devs to
make sure it works correctly without help from the manufacture.   I
think recently this been changed? Hopefully this time around it'll be
easier since now I have three monitors so it'll be interesting.