[xubuntu-users] Xubuntu 13.10 Boots Straight to Console

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Oct 19 07:33:01 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-10-18 at 19:57 -0600, ZukePrime wrote:
> What information or logs should I look at to drill down on this?

grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log

less ~/.xsession-errors

less /var/log/nvidia-installer.log

> I tell you my patience with Linux is running out

The advantage of *buntus is that they are pre-build and come with
running tons of services by default. This is good to introduce Linux to
people who used Microsoft, Apple or no computer before they used Linux.

People coming from other OS than Microsoft or Apple, even without Linux
experiences, likely will already start with another Linux distro.

To experience the complete advantages of Linux, *buntus aren't the right
distros. The kind of user friendliness provided by *buntus has got a lot
of drawbacks, one might be that the users never will learn how to set up
a "real" Linux and it's user space. *buntus are far away from KISS and
far away from providing a good configuration regarding to stability and
fine tuning.

I recommend a dual-boot with *buntu and something like Gentoo, Arch
Linux etc..

Issues with proprietary video drivers are not really distro related,
resp. there is the question, if using a proprietary driver is needed.
Is it needed for the users needs, IOW for the tasks the computer is used
for, or is it just needed to fit to a crappy DE or something stupid
else. Regarding to the DE, Xfce4 doesn't need 3D acceleration, at least
not if you don't use transparency and perhaps other features.