[xubuntu-users] Printer query

Neil Winchurst neilwin at drofle.co.uk
Wed May 22 15:08:00 UTC 2013

On 20/05/13 17:59, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion. Further internet research has told me that
> this is a known problem, and it has been fixed in CUPS 1.5.3-1. I have
> version 1.5.3 and I cannot find an updated version to download. I should
> mention that both computers are 64 bit.
>
> I can find later CUPS versions but they are intended for later versions
> of Ubuntu etc. It seems that if I could find a way to update my version
> it would sort it out.
>
> Meanwhile, thanks for all the help from the group. I think I have
> decided that it is not worth any more hassle. Eventually I will upgrade
> to the next LTS version of Xubuntu and it should all be sorted then.
>
> Regards
>
> Neil

As a final message about this. I use VBox to check for upcoming versions
of distros. Recently I installed Xubuntu 13.04 on VBox to have a look at
how it differs from my current version 12.04. (One big difference is
that this new version has only nine months support.)

Just out of interest I had a look at printing from the VBox distro.
Devices --> USB Devices found the printer. I went Menu --> Settings
Manager --> Printer. I tried to set up the printer and had no problems
at all. The test page printed perfectly.

This was unexpected at first. Then I remembered, this is Xubuntu version
13.04 linking to v 12.04. Also the CUPS version with 12.04 is 1.5.3
whereas the CUPS version with 13.04 is 1.6.2.

So no problem with that setup. It seems that the problems arise when
both computers are running Xubuntu 12.04, as stated on the internet.
However I don't want the hassle of installing new versions of Xubuntu
too frequently so I normally stick with the LTS versions.

Oh well, can't win them all,

Neil