[xubuntu-users] Printer query

Neil Winchurst neilwin at drofle.co.uk
Mon May 20 16:59:03 UTC 2013

On 20/05/13 16:53, Joshua O'Leary wrote:
> If you edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf, and add
> BrowsePoll <ip address or hostname>
> to the client does it work then? This should force it to continuously
> poll the server providing the printer is shared correctly. (Don't forget
> to restart cups - sudo service cups restart). Also make sure all users
> have permission to print.
>
> Joshua
>
> Neil Winchurst <neilwin at drofle.co.uk> wrote:
>
>     On 19/05/13 21:30, Bill wrote:
>
>         Hi Neil, fwiw, I'm running 12.04 (Linux bill-XPS-M1530
>         3.2.0-43-generic-pae #68-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 15 03:55:10 UTC 2013
>         i686
>         i686 i386 GNU/Linux) on both my Dell laptop and desktop. My HP
>         printer
>         is connected to the desktop via usb cable, the desktop is
>         connected to a
>         modem/router via ethernet cable, and the laptop to the
>         modem/router via
>         wifi.
>
>         The properties of the printer via the System > Printing menu is
>         as follows:
>         Location: bill-Inspiron-530
>         Device URL: ipp://192.168.2.2:631/printers/Deskjet-F300-series
>         Make & Model: HP Deskjet f300 Series, hpcups 3.12.2 on
>         192.168.2.2 <http://192.168.2.2>
>         Device Status: Stopped
>
>         I get the same information through the CUPS interface
>         (192.168.2.3:631/printers/Deskjet-F300-series).
>
>         I recall having some trouble getting the laptop to find the
>         printer, and
>         if I recall, the key was in getting the proper device url (after
>         finding
>         the correct driver, which took a little experimentation as
>         well). I do
>         remember that the laptop could not locate the printer on its own.
>
>         Hope you get the nagging problem straightened out!
>
>         --
>         Regards,
>         Bill
>

>     Thanks for that, very interesting. I have looked at the properties for
>     my printer via the System --> Printing menu. Of course most of the items
>     are different, description etc. I was interested in the Device URL
>     however. Here is mine
>
>     hp:/usb/Photosmart_5520_series?serial=CN27J1601P05ST
>
>     no mention of ipp. Perhaps there is a clue there. And in CUPS I get the same
>
>     hp:/usb/Photosmart_5520_series?serial=CN27J1601P05ST
>
>     as you said.
>
>     This is what my computer found for me when I set up printer sharing on
>     both desktop and laptop computers. Perhaps I need to try to set it up
>     myself (as a second printer) to see if that works.
>
>     Regards
>
>     Neil

Thanks for the suggestion. Further internet research has told me that
this is a known problem, and it has been fixed in CUPS 1.5.3-1. I have
version 1.5.3 and I cannot find an updated version to download. I should
mention that both computers are 64 bit.

I can find later CUPS versions but they are intended for later versions
of Ubuntu etc. It seems that if I could find a way to update my version
it would sort it out.

Meanwhile, thanks for all the help from the group. I think I have
decided that it is not worth any more hassle. Eventually I will upgrade
to the next LTS version of Xubuntu and it should all be sorted then.

Regards

Neil