[xubuntu-users] New laptop, Xubuntu and UEFI

Neil Winchurst neilwin at drofle.co.uk
Sun Jun 23 14:03:18 UTC 2013

I use a desktop computer and my wife has her own laptop, both running
Xubuntu. Until recently I used a laptop for testing and also as a
standby computer if needed. Unfortunately my laptop died the other day.
(It was given to me some years ago and it was not new then, so it is not
worth the bother of trying to sort it out.)

So I have been looking around for a replacement. I have found a company
which will supply computers to your spec, including laptops, in all
cases without any OS if required. So far so good.

However when I asked I discovered that, in order to check the machine
before despatch, they will install Windows 8 on to it. Anyone who has
asked for no OS to be included will receive the machine with a 30 day
trial version of Win 8 installed. Otherwise they will get a full, paid
for, version. In either case this means that secure boot will be turned on.

I was planning to disable secure boot and then install Xubuntu 13.04,
removing Win 8 at the same time. Now, I have read somewhere that Xubuntu
13.04 is UEFI ready. Is that correct? If so then I won't need to disable
secure boot.

Any UEFI experts out there?

Thanks for any information on this,

Neil