[xubuntu-users] Lightdm killed during boot

Joshua O'Leary joshua.oleary at btinternet.com
Wed Jun 20 11:59:12 UTC 2012

On 20/06/12 12:25, MR ZenWiz wrote:
> I recently upgraded my work desktop to use Xubuntu 12.04 (from Ubuntu
> 10.10, complete fresh install).
>
> This last Monday when I went in to work, all the machines were off (we
> had a power outage over the weekend) and I had shut mine down on
> Friday.
>
> However, when I booted the machine, lightdm was killed during the boot
> and it took me a reboot and some log scoping to figure out what
> happened.  When I started lightdm from the console, everything went
> fine.
>
> I had to reboot again due to an update, and the same thing happened.
>
> What would kill lightdm during startup but allow it to run thereafter?
>
> Thanks.
>
> MR Zenwiz

You could try to reinstall lightdm, with "apt-get install --reinstall
lightdm", as root.
If that still doesn't work, try removing it completely with "apt-get
purge lightdm", then
"apt-get install xubuntu-desktop lightdm lightdm-gtk-greeter"
Also take a look at your system logs - run dmesg to view the kernel ring
buffer, look at /var/log/syslog and also /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log to
see what is causing it to fail. /var/log/xorg.0.log may also be useful.

Joshua