[xubuntu-users] Lightdm killed during boot

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 05:57:26 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 4:59 AM, Joshua O'Leary
<joshua.oleary at btinternet.com> wrote:

> You could try to reinstall lightdm, with "apt-get install --reinstall
> lightdm", as root.
> If that still doesn't work, try removing it completely with "apt-get purge
> lightdm", then
> "apt-get install xubuntu-desktop lightdm lightdm-gtk-greeter"

I will give this a shot nect time I have to reboot anyway.

> Also take a look at your system logs - run dmesg to view the kernel ring
> buffer, look at /var/log/syslog and also /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log to see
> what is causing it to fail. /var/log/xorg.0.log may also be useful.

The only mention of lightdm in the logs is that it was killed, not by
whom or for any explicit reason.  The lightdm logs show nothing.

(That was the first place I started looking for an explanation....)

I don't know if this means anything, but I also had a similar problem
in a VMWare Workstation Xubuntu VM.  (It came up to the console only,
no graphics window at all.)  At that time I didn't know enough to find
out why, but I was just able to install VMWS 8, and the Xubuntu VM
came up the same way.  I started lightdm and voila, everything was
"normal."