[xubuntu-users] Lightdm killed during boot

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 11:25:27 UTC 2012

I recently upgraded my work desktop to use Xubuntu 12.04 (from Ubuntu
10.10, complete fresh install).

This last Monday when I went in to work, all the machines were off (we
had a power outage over the weekend) and I had shut mine down on
Friday.

However, when I booted the machine, lightdm was killed during the boot
and it took me a reboot and some log scoping to figure out what
happened.  When I started lightdm from the console, everything went
fine.

I had to reboot again due to an update, and the same thing happened.

What would kill lightdm during startup but allow it to run thereafter?

Thanks.

MR Zenwiz