[xubuntu-users] Are there any Xubuntu users here?

ross smith rjsm at umich.edu
Tue May 3 16:00:21 UTC 2011

> I would expect find apps that fit the spirit of the derivative.
>

> I haven't encountered that phrase before: "the spirit of the derivative".
> What would you say is "the spirit" of Ubuntu?  Hardly lightweight, being a
> full blown Gnome distribution.  Unity is not lightweight either.
>
> I never said that ubuntu was lightweight or that they intended their
distribution to be lightweight.

>    Xubuntu, and Xfce4 are both based around the idea of a lightweight but
> fully featured desktop.
>

> It certainly seems so.  But certainly not in  "the spirit of" Ubuntu.  Why
> did they bother to call it Xubuntu and yet leave out everything remotely
> like Ubuntu?
>
> xubuntu (and all of the other derivatives for that matter)  has no impetus
to follow along with whatever ubuntu is doing.   That's the whole point of a
derivative distribution; to do something different with the operating
system.   What's the point in rolling a different distro based on the
sources of ubuntu if you're not going to change anything?

>   The apps I would expect to be included with xubuntu are lighter
> alternatives to those in ubuntu.
>

> I would certainly expect "lighter alternatives" if Xfce sat on top of a CLI
> based derivative, but I repeat:  Why did they bother to call it Xubuntu and
> yet leave out everything remotely like Ubuntu?

Justin said it best:
   One more time:  BECAUSE IT ISN'T UBUNTU!!!

>  "If Xfce sat on top of a CLI based derivative"

Either you really don't know how linux works at all (in which case I'd do
some reading before ranting on a mailing list...) or you're just trolling.

-Ross