[xubuntu-users] $@$@$&%#%& Nvidia card... HDA NVidia (Alsa Mixer) But no sound card

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Sat Jul 24 02:22:48 UTC 2010

It would appear that on Jul 13, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook did say:

> It would appear that on Jul 11, Robin did say:
>
> > Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> >
> > > Would anyone have a clue what I can do to be able to listen to my .wav
> > > files while using  Xubuntu Karmic???
> >
> > For some reason that I still cannot fathom, PulseAudio has made its way into
> > Lucid Xubuntu. Karmic worked flawlessly for me, and it was Lucid that had no
> > sound until I completely removed PulseAudio (replacing it with ALSA and esound).
> > Yours sounds like the exact opposite problem! Weird.
>
> AhYucketh! When I first noticed the lack of sound the first thing I did was to
> check that PulseAudio wasn't installed. That thing left a bad taste in my
> mouth back before I gave up on using Kubuntu... But while I think it's possible
> that on some systems PulseAudio might even be a good choice, I don't think
> this is an PulseAudio vs. Alsa thing because back then Both PulseAudio AND
> Alsa were at least able to "detect" the sound card even if it only
> responded to one of them. But in this case I can't find a mixer that can
> detect the sound card at all...
>
> Ah well. If the only thing I can't get working is the sound. Then my
> Xubuntu will still make a good fallback distro to Arch & PCLinuxOS. And who
> knows. Maybe when i upgrade it to Lucid, it could be that the problem will
> solve itself. I'll just have to find and read the directions on how to do
> that. {as the last time I successfully upgraded a 'buntu system to the next
> release it was back when the Kubuntu method was to edit the release names
> in the sources list and do an apt-get dist-upgrade But I understand that
> doesn't work any more...}

OK Now that I've upgraded to Lucid via the "do-release-upgrade" cli tool
I've still got sound issues... <sigh>

Of course the upgrade dumped pulseaudio on me. The alsamixergui described
all the soundcard options as one kind of pulseadio "dummy" or another.
Neither dummy option worked. So I did an "apt-get purge pulseaudio" and
an "apt-get install alsa esound"... Now I get the same results as before,
no soundcard is detected. Since I know from my other Linux installs that
the sound is part of the on-board Nvidia GeForce I thought it might have
something to do with the Nvidia driver.

The "Hardware Drivers" tool offers 3 Nvidia drivers

Version 173
Version 96
Version current "recommended"

I've now tried all three <sigh> But nothing seems to make Xubuntu recognize
the existence of the onboard sound-card (sigh)

If anybody has a clue or theory that might get Xubuntu to actually find and
use "HDA NVidia (Alsa Mixer)" like my other Linux do I'd really like to
hear it...

--
|    ^^^   ^^^
|    <o>   <o>      Joe (theWordy) Philbrook