[xubuntu-users] $@$@$&%#%& Nvidia card... HDA NVidia (Alsa Mixer) But no sound card

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Sat Jul 24 06:03:09 UTC 2010

It would appear that on Jul 23, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook did say:

> If anybody has a clue or theory that might get Xubuntu to actually find and
> use "HDA NVidia (Alsa Mixer)" like my other Linux do I'd really like to
> hear it...

I found out that this is a permission thing of some kind. Though I note
that my user is a member of both the sound & video groups. (full group
data at bottom of message...) so I don't know why I can't use the Nvidia
sound card...

I note: none of the gui mixers work, alsamixergui exits with an error
pop-up that says:

"alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory"

And if I run the ncurses based "alsamixer" in a console:

JtWdyP -> /home/jtwdyp
> alsamixer
cannot open mixer: No such file or directory
JtWdyP -> /home/jtwdyp

Yet IF I run it as root it works...

Likewise if I run mocp as root it works. & I can play music. But if I run
it as me...:

JtWdyP -> /home/jtwdyp
> mocp
Running the server...
Trying JACK...
Trying ALSA...
ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:4154:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:4154:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:4154:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4633:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2211:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
Trying OSS...

FATAL_ERROR: No valid sound driver

FATAL_ERROR: Server exited

JtWdyP -> /home/jtwdyp

These are the groups I've added my user to...

adm:x:4:mvjap3,jtwdyp
dialout:x:20:mvjap3,jtwdyp
fax:x:21:mvjap3,jtwdyp
voice:x:22:mvjap3,jtwdyp
cdrom:x:24:mvjap3,jtwdyp
floppy:x:25:mvjap3,jtwdyp
audio:x:29:mvjap3,jtwdyp
video:x:44:mvjap3,jtwdyp
plugdev:x:46:mvjap3,jtwdyp
games:x:60:mvjap3,jtwdyp
users:x:100:mvjap3,jtwdyp
lpadmin:x:107:mvjap3,jtwdyp
admin:x:114:mvjap3,jtwdyp
sambashare:x:118:mvjap3,jtwdyp

So does anyone know how I can fix this????