[xubuntu-users] $@$@$&%#%& Nvidia card... HDA NVidia (Alsa Mixer) But no sound card detected

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Tue Jul 13 05:40:36 UTC 2010

It would appear that on Jul 11, Charlie Kravetz did say:

> On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 01:58:36 -0400
> "Joe(theWordy)Philbrook" <jtwdyp at ttlc.net> wrote:
>

> > Would anyone have a clue what I can do to be able to listen to my .wav
> > files while using  Xubuntu Karmic???
> >

> Have you enabled the mixer controls? On my system, I have to
> double-click the speaker, select the master, PCM, CD, and video
> controls. Then I switch from alsa to pulse-audio in the same mixer
> window, select master. Close the mixer, right-click the speaker, select
> properties. Change the control from alsa to pulse-audio and everything
> then works.

If I'm clicking on the right "speaker" I just get an error. Since for most
people a picture is worth a thousand words, please take a peek at:

https://home.comcast.net/~jtwdyp/GstreamerError.png

And there won't be any doubt which speaker and what error... Incidentally if
I right click on it the Mixer choice is grayed out. <sigh>

By the way in the mean time, just thought I'd mention, I also decided to
clone an old "developmental" version of Elive 1.9.61 That I also have on
the laptop for which I still had the installation cd. It's package
repository is based on Debian's Lenny, And is old enough to still be using
the kde3 version of Konsole... It's installer told me I "needed" to use
a Nvidia driver. And Elive, like Arch & PCLinuxOS, has no problem detecting
the soundcard. This problem seems to be exclusive to the Xubuntu
installation.

--
|    ^^^   ^^^
|    <o>   <o>      Joe (theWordy) Philbrook