[xubuntu-users] Of the three which should I use

Tue Jul 13 22:11:30 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 11:33 PM, Sherman Willden <pedalsteel.e9b6 at gmail.com
> wrote:

> I downloaded and put the Ubuntu iso on a CD. Then, looking around, I found
> Xubuntu. Xubuntu said something about more security. I assume Xubuntu is a
> seperate operating system from Ubuntu. Which is better? It appears that
> Xubutu is better. I am using a Compaq Presario as the host client.
>
> Thank you;

Both are just as secure (i.e. very secure), it's a matter of preference, the
philosophy of both operating systems differ a bit.

The Ubuntu philosophy is "that software should be available free of charge,
that software tools should be usable by people in their local language and
despite any disabilities, and that people should have the freedom to
customize and alter their software in whatever way they see fit". In other
words: a focus on ease-of-use.

Xubuntu also has a focus on ease-of-use, but tries to balance that with good
performance. See Xubuntu's three-tier focus:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/StrategyDocument#Xubuntu%27s%20Three%20Tier%20Focus

There is a bit more documentation on Ubuntu, as well, but a lot of guides on
the internet that apply to Ubuntu also apply to Xubuntu.

Trying both, though, is easy: install either, and then from the Ubuntu
Software Center (the window to install other applications from) search for
the other and install it. Then, from the login screen, you can choose which
to run to try it out. (This might not give optimal performance though, I
think.)

> Sherman L. Willden

Best,
--