[xubuntu-users] no sound card detected

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Tue Jul 13 06:10:25 UTC 2010

It would appear that on Jul 11, Robin did say:

> Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
>
> > Would anyone have a clue what I can do to be able to listen to my .wav
> > files while using  Xubuntu Karmic???
>

> For some reason that I still cannot fathom, PulseAudio has made its way into
> Lucid Xubuntu. Karmic worked flawlessly for me, and it was Lucid that had no
> sound until I completely removed PulseAudio (replacing it with ALSA and esound).
> Yours sounds like the exact opposite problem! Weird.

AhYucketh! When I first noticed the lack of sound the first thing I did was to
check that PulseAudio wasn't installed. That thing left a bad taste in my
mouth back before I gave up on using Kubuntu... But while I think it's possible
that on some systems PulseAudio might even be a good choice, I don't think
this is an PulseAudio vs. Alsa thing because back then Both PulseAudio AND
Alsa were at least able to "detect" the sound card even if it only
responded to one of them. But in this case I can't find a mixer that can
detect the sound card at all...

> If you don't have Xubuntu restricted-extras installed, by all means do so. It
> enabled some of my music too. It's a collection of codecs and stuff that enables
> multimedia.

Thank you for reminding me about that. I had forgotten them. Still
enabling the ability to decode multimedia files doesn't matter if
the output device isn't recognized by the system.  And so of course, they
didn't help. But it was worth a try.

Ah well. If the only thing I can't get working is the sound. Then my
Xubuntu will still make a good fallback distro to Arch & PCLinuxOS. And who
knows. Maybe when i upgrade it to Lucid, it could be that the problem will
solve itself. I'll just have to find and read the directions on how to do
that. {as the last time I successfully upgraded a 'buntu system to the next
release it was back when the Kubuntu method was to edit the release names
in the sources list and do an apt-get dist-upgrade But I understand that
doesn't work any more...}

See Ya

--
|    ^^^   ^^^