[xubuntu-users] New Karmic install: problem with postfix "local loopback still a problem"

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Sun Jul 11 00:07:47 UTC 2010

It would appear that on Jul 10, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook did say:

> It would appear that on Jul 9, Tim H. did say:
> > Now for postfix, I have a set config that I once used (not anymore).  So
> > it doesn't matter which option I choose.  I may be able to look into
> > this, however I am not sure I really feel like it :P  My config took a
> > few days to setup just right and I don't feel like going through the
> > docs again, ha.
> >
> > The fully qualified domain, have you tried localhost?  I mean give it a
> > shot I guess.  I have multiple domains so that never came up as a
> > problem for me.
>
> Yes I did. It didn't work. I can avoid the error by selecting the don't
> configure option, but that would only work if I had a clue how to
> configure it for local loopback... I can live without it. On average I've
> managed to get it working on about 50% of the distros I've tried. But it
> bugs me that they bothered with an autoconfig routine that offers to set
> it up for local mail only. Which option wouldn't be very likely on any
> machine that actually has a FQDN to satisfy the durned config with...

Anyway I got this brilliant idea to try to copy the postfix config from
my laptops Arch where local loopback is working...

I even managed to get newaliases to create a new db...

Trouble is every time I try to send a user a mailx from root I get this:

postdrop: warning: unable to look up public/pickup: no such file or directory

What is that talking about?

Still confused: