[xubuntu-users] Thunar shows folders and files with a red X

Tim H. bizdev at pwnspeak.com
Thu Jul 8 05:51:40 BST 2010

> When I open Thunar i often see files and dirs with a red X. What does this mean?
>
> Thanks

Most likely you do not have permission to open these files.

Right click inside of the thunar window and click "Open Terminal Here".
  Then type in the terminal ls -l and you may see if you actually own
these files.  It is also possible the folder itself does not have
correct permissions.  While the files may have proper perms, the folder
may not causing problem for you.

Do you do a lot of work as root or some other username?

Tim H.