[xubuntu-users] Hard disk damaged! Partition improperly dismounted with Xubuntu

David Curtis dcurtis at uniserve.com
Wed Mar 11 00:20:49 UTC 2009

wikiOn Tue, 10 Mar 2009 12:13:12 -0700 (PDT)
Bruno Diaz <b_d_r_i at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had a problem on Xubuntu installed with Wubi and I don't know why this happened because I wasn't doing anything related to the partitions when the computer crashed. I was using the pc, it was running slowly and then I was not able to close any window because the desktop was not working... Thus I was forced to reboot the pc using PC off button.
>
> Then was impossible to boot neither Xubuntu nor Windows XP. I used partition magic to check error and noticed: "Partition improperly dismounted", but partition magic could not fix it. I tried to open the partition to save the data with Knoppix and Ubuntu but were unable to mount the partition. Then I tried to recovey the data but also was impossible. Finally I delete and format the partition, but  I was not able to reinstall Windows Xp beacuse noticed hard disk damaged....
>
> What can I do?

Sounds like the drive is toast.

> And for the future... Is there any way to close a window in Xubuntu when the desktop is not working? Like a reset Ctrl-Alt-Del in Windows.

In user space, Ctrl-Alt-Backspace will immediately restart xorg, but only in Hardy and Interpid, this will be deprecated in Jaunty.

But if xorg is really frozen and won't respond then a magic-sys-req [1] key sequence is needed, which talks straight to the kernel. Namely Alt-Sysreq-k.

 [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key
--
David Curtis <dcurtis at uniserve.com>