[xubuntu-users] Hard disk damaged! Partition improperly dismounted with Xubuntu

Wed Mar 11 15:15:45 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 1:20 AM, David Curtis <dcurtis at uniserve.com> wrote:

> wikiOn Tue, 10 Mar 2009 12:13:12 -0700 (PDT)
> Bruno Diaz <b_d_r_i at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I had a problem on Xubuntu installed with Wubi and I don't know why this
> happened because I wasn't doing anything related to the partitions when the
> computer crashed. I was using the pc, it was running slowly and then I was
> not able to close any window because the desktop was not working... Thus I
> was forced to reboot the pc using PC off button.
> >
> > Then was impossible to boot neither Xubuntu nor Windows XP. I used
> partition magic to check error and noticed: "Partition improperly
> dismounted", but partition magic could not fix it. I tried to open the
> partition to save the data with Knoppix and Ubuntu but were unable to mount
> the partition. Then I tried to recovey the data but also was impossible.
> Finally I delete and format the partition, but  I was not able to reinstall
> Windows Xp beacuse noticed hard disk damaged....
> >
> > What can I do?
>
> Sounds like the drive is toast.
>

> > And for the future... Is there any way to close a window in Xubuntu
> when the desktop is not working? Like a reset Ctrl-Alt-Del in Windows.
>
> In user space, Ctrl-Alt-Backspace will immediately restart xorg, but only
> in Hardy and Interpid, this will be deprecated in Jaunty.

Will it? Aw... :( Why?

But anyway, the reason this happened (not the hard drive crash but not being
able to boot WinXP nor Xubuntu) is because both were installed onto an NTFS
drive (which is Microsoft's filesystem format) which isn't very good at
handling this. The Wubi website warns for this - exactly because when
something like this causes Windows to crash it will take Xubuntu down with
it when installed using Wubi.

Thus, installing Xubuntu directly has preference because it can use Linux
filesystem formats which are generall more tolerant to this. But of course,
Wubi is a lot easier and since such a failure will take down Windows you'll
be screwed anyway ;-).

Do, by the way, not take my word on this because filesystems really aren't
my thing.

As for the actual question: Ctrl+Alt+Esc, if that doesn't work
Ctrl+Alt+Backspace (as long as it isn't removed) and if that doesn't work
the Magic SysRq key are great :)

> But if xorg is really frozen and won't respond then a magic-sys-req [1] key
> sequence is needed, which talks straight to the kernel. Namely Alt-Sysreq-k.
>
>  [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key
> --
> David Curtis <dcurtis at uniserve.com>

--