[xubuntu-users] Hard disk damaged! Partition improperly dismounted with Xubuntu

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Tue Mar 10 21:02:05 UTC 2009

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 12:13:12 -0700 (PDT)
Bruno Diaz <b_d_r_i at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had a problem on Xubuntu installed with Wubi and I don't know why
> this happened because I wasn't doing anything related to the
> partitions when the computer crashed. I was using the pc, it was
> running slowly and then I was not able to close any window because
> the desktop was not working... Thus I was forced to reboot the pc
> using PC off button. Then was impossible to boot neither Xubuntu nor
> Windows XP. I used partition magic to check error and noticed:
> "Partition improperly dismounted", but partition magic could not fix
> it. I tried to open the partition to save the data with Knoppix and
> Ubuntu but were unable to mount the partition. Then I tried to
> recovey the data but also was impossible. Finally I delete and
> format the partition, but  I was not able to reinstall Windows Xp
> beacuse noticed hard disk damaged.... What can I do? And for the
> future... Is there any way to close a window in Xubuntu when the
> desktop is not working? Like a reset Ctrl-Alt-Del in Windows. Thanks,
>
> Bruno Diaz Lopez
> Chief Researcher / Marine Zoologist
> Bottlenose Dolphin Research Institute BDRI
> V.Armando Diaz Nº4 07020 Golfo Aranci (SS) Italy
> www.thebdri.com
> info at thebdri.com
> tel.+ 39 346 081 5414
> tel. + 0789 183 1197

I would hope you did file a bug report on this? If not, perhaps you
could file one at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug

In Xubuntu 8.04 and 8.10, you can use Ctrl+Alt+ESC to a method to close
windows. just move the X curor over the window you want closed and
left-click the mouse.

Good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz