[xubuntu-users] OEM install

Vincent imnotb at gmail.com
Wed May 23 08:43:37 UTC 2007

On 23/05/07, Adam Miller <maxamillion at gmail.com> wrote:

> Daniel,
>      Yes, I think Xubuntu would be the best candidate for those machines
> hands down, especially because of their specifications. As far as the term
> "OEM", I was unaware there was even such a thing for Xubuntu and if it does
> exist I don't entirely know if it is officially supported (which might
> answer why the experience with it was less than satisfactory). I recommend
> using the "alternate install cd" as that will provide with a rather low
> resource consuming installation method and we use the ubuntu installer
> (which is essentially the classic debian installer with a few modifications
> in an attempt to make it easier).
>
>      In respect to software, I personally feel that the default
> installation of software is perfect for a stand alone machine, the only
> things I install beyond that are development tools and applications for
> internet tasks.
>
> Abiword is an incredible word processing alternative that I use daily for
> both school and work (i'm a college student) and the only time I ever use
> OpenOffice is for heavily style-formatted documents in the .doc format
>
> The OpenOffice.org word processor is installed by default in Feisty if
> that is needed.
>
> If by any chance you would need to install anything further, Xubuntu is
> entirely based on ubuntu and shares the same sub-system and same package
> repositories so any application you might need can be installed past that
> using aptitude, apt-get, synaptic, smartpm, or other package manager of your
> choice.
>
> Please message back about the OEM installation you spoke of, I am rather
> curious to look into it.
>
> -Adam
>
> On 5/22/07, daniel.faulkner at boltblue.com <daniel.faulkner at boltblue.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > I work at a school and we've got a few computers to sell/give away (with
> > no software
> > licensed for them), i've used linux for years, lately ubuntu and
> > suggested setting up
> > the computers with linux which seemed to go down quite well with the
> > system manager,
> > who was concerned at trying to sell/give away a system with no software.
> >
> > The computers are roughly 500Mhz intel, 128mb ram and 20gb HDD and
> > whatever builtin
> > graphics card is on the motherboards (used to run windows XP). The
> > suggested ideas
> > have either been to sell them at a few pounds each or to give the
> > computers to any of
> > the children who don't have a computer at home. Seems silly to pay to
> > have the
> > computers disposed of if we can give them a new lease of life.
> >
> > So as most of the computers have no CD drive (can install from an
> > external drive or
> > fit a CD drive for the installation period) and theres a chance won't be
> > plugged into
> [...]
I agree with Adam in that Xubuntu is full-featured enough, and package
management is as easy as Ubuntu's with Add/Remove, Synaptic or whatever
you'd like. And Abiword works for me too, as a high school student, but if
you don't mind the speed then I guess you'd still might prefer OpenOffice.

Anyway, I know nothing about OEM, but you might (or might not ;-) want to
look into Reconstructor: http://reconstructor.aperantis.com/

Reconstructor allows you to create a customized installation CD so that you
can customize it once and then use the same CD for every install.

Regards,
--
Vincent