[xubuntu-users] OEM install

Jim Campbell jwcampbell at gmail.com
Wed May 23 15:15:03 UTC 2007

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for giving Xubuntu a try on these computers.  And thanks for letting
us know about the OEM install issues.  We'll make sure to look into those
for the coming release.  I don't think that the OEM install option has been
tested all that well.

As for X crashing when you open the terminal, I recommend the following:

To do this, you'll need to boot into an xterm session, so when the login
screen comes up, click on the Sessions icon, and select Terminal session or
something similar (I don't have a Xubuntu install with me at the moment).

* navigate to your /etc/X11 folder and make a backup copy of your
xorg.conffile.  You can do this by entering:
cd /etc/X11
sudo cp xorg.conf xorg.conf_backup

* edit your xorg.conf file, changing the default depth from 24 to 16.  You
can do this by entering:
sudo nano xorg.conf
 . . .  then scroll down to the Screen section, and find the DefaultDepth
option.  Change that number to 16.

*press control-o  (letter "O") to save the file, then press control-x to
exit the nano text editor.

Then exit from the xterm session, and it should bring you back to the login
window.  Select an Xfce session from the session button, and proceed to
login as usual.

I hope this helps!  Sorry it is kind of a non-pretty way to do things, but
it's hard to tell you to enter these changes into a regular terminal when
the regular terminal crashes your X session!  I think that this should work,
though . . .  It's a known issue on older machines, and I've helped 3 or 4
people to fix their systems using this approach.

Regards,

Jim

Here are a couple of notes:
- The Xubuntu featureset is