[xubuntu-users] OEM install

Adam Miller maxamillion at gmail.com
Wed May 23 06:03:19 UTC 2007

Daniel,
     Yes, I think Xubuntu would be the best candidate for those machines
hands down, especially because of their specifications. As far as the term
"OEM", I was unaware there was even such a thing for Xubuntu and if it does
exist I don't entirely know if it is officially supported (which might
answer why the experience with it was less than satisfactory). I recommend
using the "alternate install cd" as that will provide with a rather low
resource consuming installation method and we use the ubuntu installer
(which is essentially the classic debian installer with a few modifications
in an attempt to make it easier).

     In respect to software, I personally feel that the default installation
of software is perfect for a stand alone machine, the only things I install
beyond that are development tools and applications for internet tasks.

Abiword is an incredible word processing alternative that I use daily for
both school and work (i'm a college student) and the only time I ever use
OpenOffice is for heavily style-formatted documents in the .doc format

The OpenOffice.org word processor is installed by default in Feisty if that
is needed.

If by any chance you would need to install anything further, Xubuntu is
entirely based on ubuntu and shares the same sub-system and same package
repositories so any application you might need can be installed past that
using aptitude, apt-get, synaptic, smartpm, or other package manager of your
choice.

Please message back about the OEM installation you spoke of, I am rather
curious to look into it.

-Adam

http://wiki.ubuntu.com/AdamMiller