[xubuntu-users] Newbie Question
McDowell, Perry (CIV)
mcdowell at nps.edu
Fri Jun 29 19:38:38 UTC 2007
My mother finally agreed to try out this new thing called the Internet ("It might be more than a fad!!") and I am giving her one of my old (PIII, 500 MHz, 128MB) computers. It had XP on it, but since she is not used to (corrupted by) MS, I was planning on putting Ubuntu on it, since I like Linux, support open source, and wanted a better performing OS since the computer is so old. When I went to the website, I saw Xubuntu, which sounds even better for the old computer. However, I couldn't find a clear breakdown of whether Xubuntu would meet her needs, or whether I should go ahead and install Ubuntu.
If there is a page which clearly breaks down who should use which OS, please point me to it. Or please let me know if Xubuntu will meet my mother's needs:
2) Full internet (images, movies, etc.)
3) Downloading images from a digital camera and slight manipulation of them.
4) Word processing, spreadsheet, etc. (I couldn't find a definitive statement that OpenOffice would work on Xubuntu - this is probably my biggest concern.)
5) ABSOLUTELY NO COMMAND LINE INTERFACE REQUIRED FOR ANY OF THE ABOVE- this would probably give my mother a heart attack and speed up my inheritance.
6) Very stable - I live two hours away, and so dropping by often to fix things can't happen (although she would probably like that; like most mothers, she thinks I don't visit enough.)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the xubuntu-users