[uds-announce] Question about Nexus 7 installation

Alex Chiang achiang at canonical.com
Thu Oct 25 09:00:08 UTC 2012

* Steve Riley <steve at rileyz.net>:
> I understand that if we bring a Nexus 7 to UDS, we'll have the
> opportunity to install Ubuntu on the thing. A 32 GiB model is
> due to ship on 29 October, and I'd much rather get one of those
> than the 16 GiB model available now. Will we be able to bring
> home builds that I can install on the tablet after I purchase
> it? Or is it necessary to have an actual tablet with me in
> Copenhagen?

We do plan on making the images available for public download, so
you do not necessarily need to bring your 8GB or 16GB device to
Copenhagen simply to get the image.

That said, the risk of waiting for the 32GB model is that other
pieces of the hardware may change, and we do not currently have a
plan to explicitly enable that platform.

On the third hand, you may just get lucky and our 8/16GB images
will Just Work™ on the 32GB machine. But YMMV and no guarantees
on that.

thanks,
/ac