[ubuntu-za] Server upgrade question

Raoul Snyman raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
Thu Jun 7 10:57:43 UTC 2012

On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 12:43:32 +0200, Wikus <mazal.wikus at gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to know , a: Can I upgrade the server to 12.04 from cd like you
> can with desktop ? (boot with 12.04 server edition cd and upgrade)
> b: If yes , what is my chances that all my configs and everything will
> still be working and in place after the upgrade ?

a: No need to reboot the server, as long as you have the "alternate" CD
(which I think the server CD is by default) all you need to do is mount the
CD, and then run /media/cdrom/cdromupgrade script as root and using the
full path. It will prompt you about overwriting config files.

> This is a live production system and I can't afford to loose my systems.

> I obviously will make a proper backup and I know there is always a
danger.
> I would just like to know how high or low chance there is of success
> from someone who already did it.

Backups. Always make backups.

I just upgraded both my servers at home using the do-release-upgrade
script (they both have Internet access) and I had zero issues.

--
Raoul Snyman, B.Tech IT (Software Engineering)
Saturn Laboratories
e: raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
w: www.saturnlaboratories.co.za
b: blog.saturnlaboratories.co.za