[ubuntu-za] Server upgrade question

Adrianna Pińska adrianna.pinska at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 11:07:18 UTC 2012

On 7 June 2012 12:57, Raoul Snyman
<raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za> wrote:
> It will prompt you about overwriting config files.

If you have a lot of custom config in /etc, you may need to do a bit
of manual admin to merge it with any new changes introduced in updated
packages.  I'm personally underwhelmed by the way this is handled by
the upgrade -- I think that whatever you pick it will save the other
file in the same directory with a suffix (.dpkg-old), but it doesn't
*tell* you this anywhere in the interface.

And I think it still doesn't let you do a custom merge on the spot, so
you have to go back and do it later, which is annoying.  You should
write down all the config files that are affected, because I don't
think it keeps a record. You can do a 'locate .dpkg-old' afterwards
(after running updatedb), but you should check beforehand if you have
any of those files already from previous package updates and clean
them up.

(I recommend meld as a visual diff and merge tool.)

Don't worry, this isn't going to happen to *all* your config,
especially not after a single version jump -- maybe a couple of
packages, and maybe none at all. ;)

Cheers,
--
Adrianna Pińska