[ubuntu-za] Server upgrade question

Andre Rossouw andre at arnet.co.za
Thu Jun 7 10:51:26 UTC 2012

> I want to know , a: Can I upgrade the server to 12.04 from cd like
> you
> can with desktop ? (boot with 12.04 server edition cd and upgrade)

I don't know about the CD method, but I have upgraded all my servers
successfully by using apt-cacher and do-release-upgrade.

Your mileage with config files will vary - I had to ensure the upgrade
kept my existing files. It did prompt before overwriting.

My suggestion would be to find another tin, or vm, backup your existing
box. Restore it to the new tin/vm and test. You'll be able to document
your issues and repeat as many times as required to ensure that your
production system upgrade goes well with minimal downtime. Might be
overkill for just one server, in my environment (20+) this was faster
for me, and I have test systems available.
--
Andre Rossouw <andre at arnet.co.za>