[ubuntu-za] Superuser

Darrel darrel at celebrationsfs.co.za
Fri Mar 5 12:15:55 GMT 2010

On Fri, 2010-03-05 at 13:28 +0200, Hannes Coetzee wrote:
> On 05/03/2010 10:58, Darrel wrote:

> >> I think you have a few things confused here...
> >>
> >> A LAMP server is a web server with Apache, MySQL and PHP integrated into
> >> it.  PhpMyAdmin is a package run on a lamp server giving a web gui to
> >> MySql.  Installing it was a creative solution as it depends on most of
> >> the LAMP packages.  However it does not configure them properly.
> >> tasksel configures it properly, but does not install phpmyadmin.  Also
> >> phpmyadmin is a security risk if published to the Internet.
> >>
> >> Next, you need to understand permissions.  The web server runs a
> >> wwwdata, and any file it servers has to be accessible to wwwdata.  There
> >> are lots of ways to make a directory you can access, and the web server
> >> cas access.  One way is to chown the /var/www directory to wwwdata:(your
> >> group) and you can have full permissions.
> >>
> >> Now I am going to give you a way to cheat.  This is a good way to learn,
> >> and see stuff, but not the best way to do things.
> >>
> >> sudo nautilus --no-desktop
> >>
> >> That is the gui file browser as root.  You can see and change
> >> permissions easily that way.  Someone may tell you that you need to use
> >> gksu instead of sudo, and that is technically right, but don't worry
> >> about it now.
> >>
> >> 			Lee
> >>

> > Hi Lee,
> >
> > Well here is a little background :
> >
> > I understand what a LAMP server consists of and the GUI access to Mysql
> > using phpmyadmin.
> >
> > I have been using a WAMP server (MS equivalent) for about two years now.
> > This "package" includes phpmyadmin ,I used it mainly to test php scripts
> > and to a lesser extent utilised the GUI to programme mysql.
> >
> > Prior to this I had loaded Apache (on MS) and tried to configure the
> > server with the added modules. I managed to mess up the config file so
> > badly that Apache was re-installed 3 times.
> >
> > The WAMP server is extremely easy to configure (at the click of a mouse)
> >
> > When I was given a copy of Jaunty I dual booted with XP and continued to
> > do so with Karmic. The stupid thing was that I was using Linux 80% of
> > the time but still using  MS to run open source software.
> >
> > I checked the repositories looking for a LAMP server "package",to my
> > surprise there were none, I specifically wanted to avoid the config
> > problems that I had experienced before.
> >
> > I did however come across phpmyadmin and knew it contained everything I
> > needed not for one moment thinking about "permissions".
> >
> > When I encountered the permission type problems I read as much as I
> > could and then presented my problem to the Community, the rest is
> > history.
> >
> > Thanks for the advice you have given me, I did however run into a small
> > glitch:
> >
> >   darrel at point:~$ sudo su -
> > [sudo] password for darrel:
> > root at point:~# sudo nautilus --no-desktop
> > Could not parse arguments: Cannot open display:
> > root at point:~#
> >
> > Darrel

> [...]
Hi Hannes, I must thank you for tasksel, what a surprise seeing all the
nice goodies available!

I think there could be some config. setting on my system which needs
tweeking:

root at point:~# gksudo nautilus --no-desktop

(gksudo:3520): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
root at point:~#

Any way there is no urgency on my part to get this working.

Darrel