[ubuntu-za] LoCoTeam - Maties

Walter Leibbrandt walter at translate.org.za
Thu Jan 28 10:50:04 GMT 2010

Op 28/01/2010 12:14, Hilton Gibson het geskryf:
> There was a thread talking about supporting primary and high
> schools. But the problem was just that - support ! How do we create a
> sustainable support structure for Ubuntu in our regions ? My IT
> manager friend summed it up with this terse statement - "whos neck do
> I wring ?". That applies to high schools as well. The linux champion
> leaves or whatvever.
>
> Now, why create a LoCo at Universities ? 1. Students that arrive here
> are open to new things. 2. There is a constant flow of students in
> and out. 3. Because of the flow, the old members can be replaced by
> new ones. 4. An "official" one stop place to get help and support can
> be sustained with the flow thru.
>
> Our one stop place is http://ubuntu.sun.ac.za which will be
> supported and maintained by the varsity LoCo.
>
> In short. I believe Universities are the right place to central
> centers of support for Ubuntu.
>
> Once the Loco is up and running then the following can happen. 1.
> Maintain the freedom toaster. 2. Maintain the wiki help web site. 3.
> Help support surrounding schools and organisations. 4. Organise
> events and promotion. 5. Solicit funds. etc....
>
> And all of the above is sustainable over the long term.
>
> Its a win for the University (free expert support) and for the
> community (sustainable).
Hi,

I agree fully with all of your reply, but what you are describing is
either a selfish Ubuntu community, excluding any other Linux users
(which a lot of students are/will be), or a LUG.

By setting up a LoCo you will
1) "Declare" Ubuntu the only "officially supported" distro
2) Alienate existing Linux users of other distro's
3) Alienate potential Linux users who don't like Ubuntu (for whatever
reason)
4) Limit the growth of the community
5) Discourage other (existing or potential) FOSS organisations

Even if this is not your intention, it will happen simply because of
perception. In the long run you'll be hurting Ubuntu and Ubuntu ZA.

Who are you supporting in the bigger picture? Canonical or Linux
(users)? If it's the former, it's a completely different can of worms.
If it's the latter, what you need is a LUG... even if all the members
are (vocal) Ubuntu users.

I'm not objecting to what you're trying to do. In fact I applaud you
guys for your efforts! I'm just saying that you will be able to do
a lot more good as a LUG and Ubuntu ZA members.

Regards,
--
Walter Leibbrandt                  Software Developer
Recent blogs: