[ubuntu-za] LoCoTeam - Maties

David Rubin drubin at ubuntu.com
Thu Jan 28 11:17:24 GMT 2010

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Walter Leibbrandt
<walter at translate.org.za> wrote:

> Op 28/01/2010 12:14, Hilton Gibson het geskryf:
>> There was a thread talking about supporting primary and high
>> schools. But the problem was just that - support ! How do we create a
>> sustainable support structure for Ubuntu in our regions ? My IT
>> manager friend summed it up with this terse statement - "whos neck do
>> I wring ?". That applies to high schools as well. The linux champion
>> leaves or whatvever.
>>
>> Now, why create a LoCo at Universities ? 1. Students that arrive here
>> are open to new things. 2. There is a constant flow of students in
>> and out. 3. Because of the flow, the old members can be replaced by
>> new ones. 4. An "official" one stop place to get help and support can
>> be sustained with the flow thru.
>>
>> Our one stop place is http://ubuntu.sun.ac.za which will be
>> supported and maintained by the varsity LoCo.
>>
>> In short. I believe Universities are the right place to central
>> centers of support for Ubuntu.
>>
>> Once the Loco is up and running then the following can happen. 1.
>> Maintain the freedom toaster. 2. Maintain the wiki help web site. 3.
>> Help support surrounding schools and organisations. 4. Organise
>> events and promotion. 5. Solicit funds. etc....
>>
>> And all of the above is sustainable over the long term.
>>
>> Its a win for the University (free expert support) and for the
>> community (sustainable).
> Hi,
>
> I agree fully with all of your reply, but what you are describing is
> either a selfish Ubuntu community, excluding any other Linux users
> (which a lot of students are/will be), or a LUG.
>
> By setting up a LoCo you will
> 1) "Declare" Ubuntu the only "officially supported" distro
> 2) Alienate existing Linux users of other distro's
> 3) Alienate potential Linux users who don't like Ubuntu (for whatever
> reason)
> 4) Limit the growth of the community
> 5) Discourage other (existing or potential) FOSS organisations
>
> Even if this is not your intention, it will happen simply because of
> perception. In the long run you'll be hurting Ubuntu and Ubuntu ZA.
>
> Who are you supporting in the bigger picture? Canonical or Linux
> (users)? If it's the former, it's a completely different can of worms.
> If it's the latter, what you need is a LUG... even if all the members
> are (vocal) Ubuntu users.
>
> I'm not objecting to what you're trying to do. In fact I applaud you
> guys for your efforts! I'm just saying that you will be able to do
> a lot more good as a LUG and Ubuntu ZA members.

Hi

Sorry for the quick reply but I have other work that currently needs
dealing with....

While I am very in favour of the ubuntu-za-maties group taking a more
active role! I do feel that having 2 separate loco teams would
discourage team interaction and split up the strong sense of community
that Ubuntu strives to maintain.

During the last Ubuntu-za meeting [1] see logs. We discussed the idea
of "city representatives" I feel that having Maties fall this title
would proberlly solve both parties issues.

Most of the people that have spoken, aren't against having Maties
being active or affiliated with Ubuntu or are evening trying to
discourage we are mealy debating the merits of being called an
"official loco"

Ubuntu-za is currently pretty small +- 350 people if you include the
mailing list + LP and some funky estimation to work out who is
subscribed to both :) (Ie thumbsuck).

I also would have a hard time accepting Maties as an official loco for
the reason that Maties hasn't actively been involved in the loco's /
Ubuntu communities that currently exists. I think this decision is
being made prematurely. Doing stuff is first priority the comes
recognition.

So a quick brief idea that I feel will keep the 2 differing
opinions/groups happy.

I propose to keep the election but change the role slightly. According
to your wiki the main role of this locoleader is maintain the wiki and
supporting infrastructure. No where in the definition of this role do
you mention any other loco team/council interaction or affiliation.

1. You are electing a "metropolis representative" who's duties would
overlap by maintaining the supporting infrastructure of Stellenbosch
University.

2. This person should help and promote communications with in the
greater ubuntu-za community. (I am hoping that your guys activity will
help motivate the rest of the loco team to do the same in their
cities)

3. Create local Stellenbosch community events, install feast bug jams.
Coding fests to support the Windows dominated university
infrastructure similar to your project to gain access to the
Stellenbosch university proxy/network (not 100% sure which one)

The idea of splitting a small team already IMHO is silly, your "loco"
on launchpad has 17 members this feels more like a subsection of the
ubuntu-za community why separate them?

Thanks

David Rubin

[1] http://maaz.mene.za.net/logs/meetings/freenode-%23ubuntu-za-2009-12-07-17-02-48.html