[ubuntu-za] Database Problems - Installing PostgreSQL

Ian Whitfield whitfield at federalsaints.net
Wed Jan 27 12:00:59 GMT 2010

Thanks All

To Jonathan - I'm using OOBase at the moment but HAVE to move to
something better. Looked at Glom but not suitable.

> That doesn't seem like the best idea, to be honest.  Doing the hard
> stuff, because the easier stuff was giving too much trouble?

It's ALL hard for a newcomer - just trying to get results!! I have been
at this for almost two months and have yet to get anything working!! No
wonder users don't 'like' Linux, I could do this in a couple of hours
in Windows!!

I think my best option is to carry on and 'crack' this some how. My only
other options are to stay with OOBase (no ways!!) or go back to Windows.
I have everything else working on Linux so this would be my first choice.

Many of the suggestions in the last posts seem to be checking ports and
network connections etc. But as I said in the beginning I'm running this
on a separate machine NOT across my network. Everything is on the same
computer for development. Once (and if) I get it working I might try to
access it from my main computer.

So what to do now?? As one reply stated "Here we are, running the
biggest and latest and greatest, DB's, Uber Systems, etc, and we can't
sort him out.". Should I "crash" this machine, re-format, re-install
Kubuntu and all software and start again from scratch? (An old Windows
trick when all else fails!!) Or should I persist and keep fiddling with
what I've got?

Once I have the DB installed I'm happy to use PHP (despite all the side
comments about it) and it seems that PHP-GTK is the way to go. BUT (here
we go again) Googling this I find a whole lot of articles about this NOT
working with 9.10 because of a bug!!

Thanks to Wayne for finding this interesting and for the above DB
comment. I can assure you Wayne I'm doing LOTS of reading, Googling and
searching also! Your recommendation however uses MySQL which I'm unhappy
with now it's in the Orical camp.

Matthew - thanks for the explanation - I understand the commands... it
was the output I didn't follow. I used your suggestions and found a
backup copy of the two conf files so I re-enabled them. Re-started the
computer and ran the 'Start' command. It failed with error "Could not
open configuration file - permission denied". I checked the permissions
and they are set to Root and grayed out so I can't change them.

So yet again I ask - what now?

I do hope all the comments about - "Stay with it you will love it once
you get there" turn out to be true!!!

Thanks

Ian