[ubuntu-za] Niggling Post 9.10 upgrade issues

Robin Bownes robin at ncedatrust.org.za
Sat Oct 31 21:58:08 GMT 2009

Hi All,

I hope someone can help. However, please note right up front, that I'm
very new to Linux and that explanations please need to be kept simple.
Thanks. (20 years supporting/training Microsoft, so good general
background, but Linux is still a new "language & culture") I made the
mistake of "logging a bug" and received veritable floods of no doubt
very good, but completely baffling information.

I upgraded from 9.04 to 9.10 and have subsequently experienced the
following:

      * My notebook (Compaq nx9000) runs a lot more slowly than it did
        on 9.04. It feels like 9.10 uses a lot more resources, or
        doesn't use them as efficiently or something. Any ideas? (Not
        wildly happy with this. I was overjoyed when I recently ditched
        Windows and discovered that Ubuntu 8.10 & then 9.04 allowed my
        somewhat older notebook to run so much better- somewhat
        disappointed now.)
      * Every now and then, a multi-coloured block appears in the top,
        right-hand corner of my screen. Since this sometimes happens
        when I'm using Banshee music player, and a new song has just
        started, I assume that it is meant to be an information dialogue
        of some kind. I also assume, that similar to the following
        problem, it is due is some kind of display or font issue.
      * This problem is more serious in that it is currently stopping me
        from getting some urgent work done. All text in my OpenOffice
        menus and tool bars has been replaced by coloured bars & lines.
        I assume this is due to OpenOffice having its internal font
        settings changed to a font that it cannot process. I have tried
        reinstalling OpenOffice (without uninstalling) with no joy.

I hope that some light can be shed.

Robin Bownes