[ubuntu-za] Niggling Post 9.10 upgrade issues

Stefano Rivera ubuntu-za at rivera.za.net
Sat Oct 31 22:18:39 GMT 2009

Hi Robin (2009.10.31_23:58:08_+0200)
>       * My notebook (Compaq nx9000) runs a lot more slowly than it did
>         on 9.04. It feels like 9.10 uses a lot more resources, or
>         doesn't use them as efficiently or something. Any ideas? (Not
>         wildly happy with this. I was overjoyed when I recently ditched
>         Windows and discovered that Ubuntu 8.10 & then 9.04 allowed my
>         somewhat older notebook to run so much better- somewhat
>         disappointed now.)

Unfortunatly, almost all software tends to become bigger, slower, and heavier
over time, as more features are added and we demand more from it. While Ubuntu
will run comfortably on older hardware than contemporary versions of Windows,
it doesn't mean that you can expect the latest version of Ubuntu to fly on 5
year old hardware.

Personally, I've found Karmic to be a little less demanding than Jaunty (mostly
because of improvements in Firefox 3.5), but I can't back that up.

If you have less than 1GB of RAM, you'll probably get a noticable improvement
by adding some.

>       * Every now and then, a multi-coloured block appears in the top,
>         right-hand corner of my screen. Since this sometimes happens
>         when I'm using Banshee music player, and a new song has just
>         started, I assume that it is meant to be an information dialogue
>         of some kind. I also assume, that similar to the following
>         problem, it is due is some kind of display or font issue.

Sounds like a notification. Do they also appear if you press the volume-control
keys? If you don't have compiz enabled, they do look a bit ugly, yes.

>       * This problem is more serious in that it is currently stopping me
>         from getting some urgent work done. All text in my OpenOffice
>         menus and tool bars has been replaced by coloured bars & lines.
>         I assume this is due to OpenOffice having its internal font
>         settings changed to a font that it cannot process. I have tried
>         reinstalling OpenOffice (without uninstalling) with no joy.

That sounds like a graphics driver issue.

Did you upgrade your Ubuntu install, or install it from scratch? If you
upgraded, try the Live CD and see if you still have that issue.

SR

--
Stefano Rivera
  http://tumbleweed.org.za/