[ubuntu-za] Karmic online upgrade

Morgan Collett morgan at ubuntu.com
Fri Oct 30 08:21:03 GMT 2009

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 23:54, Quintin Beukes <quintin at last.za.net> wrote:
> It could also be upgrade problems related to some existing package. Like
> conflicts. Very easy to miss during testing due to the many combinations of
> packages possible.
> I for instance had some nasty failures installing from the Ubuntu
> repositories because I installed a google-chrome-unstable.

Yes, many upgrade problems are due to the presence of non-standard
packages from other repos or installed manually. The update manager
disables non-standard repos (e.g. PPAs) during the upgrade to try and
reduce this problem, but sometimes you've installed a package from a
PPA or other repo that was overriding a jaunty package, and can't be
upgraded cleanly to the karmic package.

This used to be common with things like automatix which used to result
in a broken upgrade:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatix_%28software%29

Regards
Morgan