[ubuntu-za] Karma vs Windows 7

Quintin Beukes quintin at last.za.net
Sun Oct 25 13:12:10 GMT 2009

How about cost-saving campaigns?

So, instead of someone upgrading from their dreaded-Vista machines
(something a lot of people want to do, since most think they can't go
back to XP due to the SATA driver issues), offer them a less costly
solution of Ubuntu. With this give free training on switching FROM
Windows TO Ubuntu.

So the idea would be, if you were to pay R2000 per a Windows 7
machine. You could pay 40% (or less) for an Ubuntu machine. This
machine then comes with everything you had on your WIndows machine
(like office software, e-mail, sharing, etc.). And the price includes
training.

Many people are afraid of it, so if you offer training for their staff
they could even see a bonus, as some of their staff could use training
in the first place.

These are just a few suggestions. If you want to make a campaign, you
need to look at how advertising campaigns work.

Why does an ad work? What does an ad DO? It tells you how to solve a
problem. If it's an ad for knives, it tells you how the knives will
make cutting easier... it solves a problem you have, which is the
dreaded struggling to cut food.

So, you need to keep an open mind, and think of how to solve problems.
Don't tell the people it's better or nicer. Tell them what they want
to hear, while telling the truth. They want to hear
a) Save money on
- i. Ubuntu costs less than Windows
- ii. No need for expensive Anti virus software
- iii. No need for expensive Anti spyware software
- iv. No need for expensive Firewall software
b) Better productivity
c) NO virusses/spyware AT ALL, EVER
d) NO GAMES on their office machines
e) No Hackers

And so on. Think like a sales person. But don't lie. And don't focus
on doing it for free. Try and make money from it. Serious people will
seriously laugh you off if you tell them it's free. Add a price tag,
and justify the costs on the fact that it's a "better design",
perhaps. Instead of paying RX for Windows, RY for antivirus, RZ for
anti spyware, RV for firewall, RJ for this, and that, so you instead
pay R(A) for something that was designed well. Use differences to you
advantage. Windows has an update every now-and-then. Ubuntu has almost
daily updates. Tell them this is because there are HUGE teams
constantly working on improving the software.

Tell them it was developed by a south african. Tell them Mark
Shuttleworth - the first African in space. Make it sound awesome. Make
it sound cool. Make it sound like the meaning of life. You can sell
the anything to anyone if your marketing is done right.

Finally, after you've sold it - don't leave them at their own fate,
drowning. Be there for them. Show them OSS is about community and
making life better. Visit them to see how their transition is going.
Answer questions, help them out. Suggest some more ways on solving
OTHER problems they have by using OSS.

Once enough people experience Linux and OSS, and enough people Love
it, the rest will come by itself. And every single person counts. Even
if you just saved ONE person's soul, you did a magnificent job.

If done right, you will get more people on Linux, and you will can
even make some money for it. Cover your costs, go buy some KFC, eat
and then donate the rest into more campaigns.

Quintin Beukes