[ubuntu-za] Creating a stir

Barry Wyatt wyattware at telkomsa.net
Wed Aug 19 06:21:37 BST 2009

On Mon, 2009-08-17 at 10:05 +0200, wayne wrote:
> Barry Wyatt wrote:
> > On Sat, 2009-08-15 at 22:35 +0200, Quintin Beukes wrote:
> >> Great work on the conversions.
> >>
> >> Which things have you guys noticed, why people struggle using Linux
> >> and switching back. I'm slowly busy addressing these issues.
> >
> > Hi Quinton,
> >
> > As a newbie Ubuntu user here is one example of where I struggle.
> >
> > Bought a UPS, brought it home and plugged it in the USB port of my
> > Ubuntu machine (Dell T105).

> Yes, BArry
> This is quite typical for Linux, And why we say it's not quite ready for
> the pure desktop user.
> To make this easy, Just remember that nearly All appz on a linux box,
> are configured via their respective conf files.
> If and only IF somebody has taken the time to write a GUI to enable the
> desktop user to configure a app, u're in luck, But really not entirely
> as most of the time a GUI cannot allow for ALL the different
> configurations available. Thus making a GUI inferior for the Power user.
> Understandably it is fustrating, but also Very fulfilling when attempted
> and mastered.
>
> BTW, If u're still having UPS blue's , I've always had success with:
> http://www.networkupstools.org/
>
> Wayne A

Thanks, Wayne

There was also something about a web interface, but I could not get that
happening either.

I am far from giving up on Ubuntu, there are obviously some links I
missed in my Linux self study and some day they will hopefully fall into
place. Then I will take it all for granted and fail to grasp just what
the newbie's problem is.  :-)

Regards
Barry

Individuals who have received this information in error or are not authorized to receive it must promptly return or dispose of the information and notify the sender. Those individuals are hereby notified that they are strictly prohibited from reviewing, forwarding, printing, copying, distributing or using this information in any way.