[ubuntu-za] Netbook

Bruno Marques bruno at tropical.co.mz
Tue Aug 4 11:36:19 BST 2009

Charl Wentzel wrote:
> My apologies if there has already been a discusson on this...
>
> I'm looking at getting a netbook for working on site and doing
> presentations, rather than taking along my big laptop (which is also my
> primary development machine).
>
> The three main contenders everybody seems to be writing about is the
> Acer Asphire One, Asus EEE PC and MS Wind.  I see the Asphire One (with
> Limpus, 1.GHz Atom, 500MB RAM) is now selling for R2,000 at
> Incredible.
>
> Any views or comments on these netbooks?  Any better alternatives to
> suggest?  Recommended minimum specifications for RAM and Flash?
>
> It also seems that Ubuntu Netbook Remix can be installed on them (if it
> doesn't come with it already!).
>
> Would love to hear some user commentary.
>
> Regards
> Charl

well, i guess i would go with the acer aspire one.

but in terms of wich distribution to use, i've been testing out some
netbook distros with my eeepc, one of the first who came out, with only
4gb ssd and 512 of ram

i tried the ubuntu netbook remix, but i dont know why, the navigation
with the netbook remix desktop was pretty slow, but when i changed it to
a normal desktop, everything was good.
what was strange is, i then tried another distro called Easy Peasy wich
also is based on ubuntu netbook remix, and the same interface wasnt slow
at all...

i managed to get both distros installed via a usb flash, if you by any
chance need help on doing this just say so, have a pretty easy way of
doing it with a simple program, available for both windows and linux..

best regards