[ubuntu-za] CAN A VODAPONE 3G K3565 USB STICK BE USED WITH 8.04.02?

Vincent bullet at ballmail.co.za
Tue Aug 4 09:23:52 BST 2009

Fredre Hattingh wrote:
> Hi Vincent
> If you have not got the modem working by now will you please post the
> result of the following command:
>
> lsusb
>
> And also the:
>
> dmesg
>
> I am using the Vodafone - K3565-Z in 8.10 after I plug it in I get:
>
> Bus 001 Device 003: ID 19d2:2000
>
> from lsusb
>
> Then I have to use a program called usb modeswitch with a long
> initialization string to get lsusb to report the device as:
>
> Bus 001 Device 003: ID 19d2:0063
>
> The last step is to run:
>
> use modprobe usbserial vendor=0X19d2 product=0x0063
>
> The modem is then on ttyUSB0 and I use
> https://forge.betavine.net/projects/vodafonemobilec/ to connect.
>
> Fredre

Hi Fredre,
Sorry for the slow reply, but month end work issues have been keeping me
honest.

The lsusb result are attached. The info given is identical to your's.

I used modprobe in terminal & a new driver was built as per
the dmesg attached,however, dmesg appears to recognize a ZTE usb mass
storage device(which is how windows recognizes it) after plugging in but
does not seem recognize it as a GSM or 3G modem.

I have downloaded & installed the required packages from the forge
betavine site, but now when I start the vodafone connect program, a pop
up window asks for the following info:
Device Type - The only option it gives is "Serial"
Data Port Device ?
Control Port Device ?
Speed Connection - This is set at 115200?

The betavine GUI is behind this window & the installation process its
doing has stopped, pending this info I assume?

I unfortunately don't know what info to put in here.

Regards
Vincent