[ubuntu-za] Netbook

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 09:52:07 BST 2009

Hi Charl,

I've been using a EEE as my main machine since January. Normally I have
external everything : HDD, LCD, Keyboard & mouse. I rarely use OO, so it's
adequate. The 4G was enough to load all the normal stuff (gimp, gcc,
thunderbird, oo, firefox, mplayer etc) and still have 256MB swap. It's
advertised as 900MHz CPU, but it's underclocked at 600MHz to reduce power
consumption. The keyboard layout is bad, but designers did not have a lot of
space to work with. The screen size is rediculously small, leaving space of
the speakers on the side. I recently did cycled around 500km with it in my
backpack, so I'm glad it only weighs 1kg.

I'm surprized that it's still on the market, considering that you can get
the A110 for the same price.