[ubuntu-za] Ubuntu - modems etc - was Modem works with Dapper but not with Edgy

Phillip Pare ptpare at lantic.net
Fri Apr 13 11:52:17 BST 2007

Jason Norwood-Young wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 13:14 +0200, Jason Norwood-Young wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 12:31 +0200, Phillip Pare wrote:
>>

>>> And if you want to cut down on your Telkom costs and configure your
>>> machine to use your cellphone as a GPRS modem, you are very much on your
>>> own under Linux. At least the Vodacom call centre will be able to walk
>>> you through the procedures needed to set up the phone on XP but I have
>>> yet to come across a decent howto on getting it up and running on Ubuntu.
>>>

>> Or you could just ask on this list ;)
>>
>> I'll volunteer to put up a 3G how-to on the Wiki today or tomorrow.
>>

> Page is at http://www.ubuntu-za.org/Wiki/3g

Thank you for this Jason.

I have just done a google for [ gprs modem linux ] and received
1,170,000 hits!

What would seem to be one of the more useful hits near the beginning of
the list is a document by Mikko Rapeli on "Of Linux, GPRS Phones, Serial
Cable, Irda, Bluetooth and USB" at http://kapsi.fi/~mcfrisk/linux_gprs.html

There is obviously much more activity in this area than I was previously
aware of.

Regards

Phillip